About Me

My photo
I live in Kent with my husband, toddler Tilly (henceforth known as Monkey) and another baby due in November. We have two cats, Duncan and Lady Macbeth, and four chickens who kindly lay us eggs daily. We live in the picturesque seaside town of Broadstairs. I enjoy reading, knitting and cooking. I'm trying to be a bit 'greener' (not sure how successfully), and to be a gentle parent. Extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping don't freak me out, we use cloth nappies and try to follow some of the ideals of Attachment Parenting. If that sounds as if I know what I'm doing, I don't! I am also a psychotherapist with an interest in Focusing-oriented therapy, and I have a small private practice in the area.

Wednesday 1 April 2009

Fresh air and fantastic food

Poor Lady Macbeth got bit on the bum. Cue trip to the vets yesterday for anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. She perked up today though; here she is in action:

Monkey in the garden



Before I begin, I need assistance with some blog etiquette: when replying to a comment someone has left on your blog do you reply underneath the comment or do you go to their blog and write a message?

So, we've had a lovely day today. Monkey and I went with a neighbour to a playgroup in a local church. It was a nice group with lots of space and a nice safe baby area, and lots for toddlers to do/ play/ craft. I was expecting there to be a waiting list but they had spaces for Under 1s so Monkey and I are 'in'. We met another neighbour there and walked back through the park together, having a good natter. Her baby is just a few months younger than Tilly; she uses reusable nappies and from our conversation I gathered that we shared similar views on parenting. It's always good to meet likeminded people, I can sometimes be a bit snobby and careful about the people I chose to connect with. Not 'class' snobby but intellectual snobbery I s'pose, I just can't stand 'chavvy' people. Sorry! 

This afternoon I baked some apple & cinammon muffins, delicious! We ventured into the garden for the first time since Winter (!) and Monkey sat on the lawn watching the cats running around playing. Er, so how on earth does one stop a baby from putting twigs, stones, grass etc in her mouth?! I became quite inspired to do 'something' in the garden; I've got a couple of pots and I think I might plant some herbs. I tend to have the kiss of death where plants are concerned (or rather, the Cats of Death) but hopefully I can give life to something green!!! Yesterday we had a delivery from Abel & Cole, mainly because they had an offer of a free mixed fruit & veg box. I ordered some other bits and pieces and was not let down. Their eggs were fantastic and made lovely yellowy scrambled eggs, I had a lovely loaf of stoneground wholemeal bread and some of their homemade homous. I also ordered a whole chicken which was a complete revelation. It was only a pound or so more than the 'woodland' variety chicken I usually buy in Sainsburys or Tesco (free range are sooooo expensive), but when I cooked it this evening there was so much meat on it I couldn't believe it! I swear I got more meat from one breast than I usually get from the whole of a supermarket bird. I will be able to make two more meals from the meat and then stock for soup. Okay, that's the end of my Abel & Cole plug!
I blogged previously about my weight and yesterday I went to see a homeopath with a view to getting some help. I have a very limited understanding of how homeopathy works and have never seen one before. The consultation itself was 2 hours long and incredibly thorough. I was surprised that rather than focus on the health or body aspects of the problem our conversation centered mainly on the psychological: my hopes, fears, fantasies about how I look, how I want to look, what stops me from feeling confident in myself and in my skin. I felt like I'd been through the mill when I left, but quite hopeful that when she sends my treatment it will be of help.  


1 comment:

arwen_tiw said...

Blog replies: I usually reply down in the comments on my own blog, to open a conversation, but often go reply on their blog too if I think it might not be noticed or if the question/comment wasn't specifically about my entry. :)