About Me

My photo
I live in Kent with my husband, toddler Tilly (henceforth known as Monkey) and another baby due in November. We have two cats, Duncan and Lady Macbeth, and four chickens who kindly lay us eggs daily. We live in the picturesque seaside town of Broadstairs. I enjoy reading, knitting and cooking. I'm trying to be a bit 'greener' (not sure how successfully), and to be a gentle parent. Extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping don't freak me out, we use cloth nappies and try to follow some of the ideals of Attachment Parenting. If that sounds as if I know what I'm doing, I don't! I am also a psychotherapist with an interest in Focusing-oriented therapy, and I have a small private practice in the area.

Tuesday 14 October 2008

Finished it!



Today I finished knitting the tank top for K's new baby, and in timely fashion received news of his birth this morning! Congratulations and welcome to the world little one. I've put together a little breast-feeding care parcel for K, including some fennel tea, oatflake biscuits, a copy of Green Parent and some pretty beads. I hope it reaches her safely.
Monkey and I had an appointment with the paediatrician this afternoon. It went reasonably okay, we both had blood tests and it seems that I may be calcium deficient. There was no mention of formula top-ups (hoorah) but we were encouraged to wean the Monkey early, the idea being to maximise her calorie intake. But as some mamas on the GP forum pointed out, breastmilk is MORE calorific than baby rice! So presumably I could be filling her up with mush and potentially reducing her BM intake. I'm annoyed with myself for being so compliant in there... I knew this information anyway, so why didn't I speak up and ask questions? On the positive side, the consultant was extremely kind and gentle in examining Monkey, and apologised for our wasted journey on Friday.

1 comment:

arwen_tiw said...

Argh, don't be so hard on yourself! I come across as anti-establishment, agressively anti-intervention, every doctor's nightmare patient... And I still sit there when actually faced with a white coat and nod and agree. The amount of times I've come away kicking myself, even having allowed treatment I was unhappy with - even having given antibiotics I knew were unnecessary and indirectly caused my baby's first asthma attack...

(hugs)