About Me

My photo
I live in Kent with my husband, toddler Tilly (henceforth known as Monkey) and another baby due in November. We have two cats, Duncan and Lady Macbeth, and four chickens who kindly lay us eggs daily. We live in the picturesque seaside town of Broadstairs. I enjoy reading, knitting and cooking. I'm trying to be a bit 'greener' (not sure how successfully), and to be a gentle parent. Extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping don't freak me out, we use cloth nappies and try to follow some of the ideals of Attachment Parenting. If that sounds as if I know what I'm doing, I don't! I am also a psychotherapist with an interest in Focusing-oriented therapy, and I have a small private practice in the area.

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Crayonning




Monkey has discovered a box of crayons in her play basket. She loves them, all 40 of them, in bright colours and preferably tipped out of the box and spread all over the floor. I found myself trying to demonstrate to her what they did, taking the crayon and drawing, or placing the crayon in her hand and holding it while moving the crayon across the paper. She wasn't interested and didn't really notice that lines were being created. So I gave up, even trying to put the crayons away, which Monkey objected to so I gave up and left her to it. Crayons are for crayonning, I thought.
This morning I just watched her. I noticed her looking at the scribbles of colour that the crayons had left in the bottom of the box. She put the box down and continued playing. But in that moment I understood that I don' actually need to show her how crayons work. She will figure it out for herself, and that will be an infinitely more useful process to her than my direction would ever be.

4 comments:

Joxy34 said...

I love the sleepsuit that is gorgeous and Monkey looks really snug in it :)

arwen_tiw said...

Took me two children to realise that, mama. You're such a star! Your post made my heart overflow at the memory of those first discoveries; may they continue to astound the both of you.

Unknown said...

Yes it will! Good on you for realising that so early on.
Besides, at that age it's all about tipping in and out and holding and examining anyway.

gardenmama said...

She is sooo cute!!!! : )
I love that you are letting her figure this out on her own, that is where the learning truly comes into play!
Good for you mama!