About Me

My photo
I live in Kent with my husband, toddler Tilly (henceforth known as Monkey) and another baby due in November. We have two cats, Duncan and Lady Macbeth, and four chickens who kindly lay us eggs daily. We live in the picturesque seaside town of Broadstairs. I enjoy reading, knitting and cooking. I'm trying to be a bit 'greener' (not sure how successfully), and to be a gentle parent. Extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping don't freak me out, we use cloth nappies and try to follow some of the ideals of Attachment Parenting. If that sounds as if I know what I'm doing, I don't! I am also a psychotherapist with an interest in Focusing-oriented therapy, and I have a small private practice in the area.

Tuesday 26 May 2009

Intermission Over!

I'm back, and blogging again. It's been absolutely ages, sorry for disappearing. We've been back from holiday since Friday but I just haven't felt inclined to post. Sometimes I find myself in a phase of just reading other people's blogs (and immensely enjoying them) but not really feeling like I've got much to say myself. And then of course there is the perennial battle: do I read a book (fiction? non-fiction? something work-related?), do I craft, do I bake... or do I aimlessly surf the internet and get lost jumping stepping-stones from blog to blog (via Amazon, Myriad etc)?
There's not a lot of news chez nous. It is the Monkey's first birthday on Thursday and at the last minute I've decided to throw a little tea party for her, just Grandparents and a couple of her baby friends. I can't believe she is going to be one. I'm sure a lot of you know how that feels! Today she has started putting wooden blocks or a glasses case to her ear and babbling into it as if she is on a phone. Part of me is so thrilled because it is deliciously cute and adorable, the other part of me is slightly concerned that the first little 'trick' she has learned involved miming her parents being on a mobile phone. Oh the times they are a changing.. and all that. 
House news, well, there isn't much. It's all still going ahead, but at a snail's pace.
I'm reading a really interesting biography by Allegra Huston (John Huston's daughter and Anjelica Huston's sister). It's called Love Child, it's not the sort of thing I usually read but I heard her on Radio 4 and I liked what I heard and so bought the book. It's a Hollywood memoir but from the perspective of a girl who didn't really belong in that environment. She's clearly very intelligent and the book is more about her sense of not belonging and her unconventional family than a 'dish-the-dirt' type memoir.
Not much crafting going on... I'm attempting to make a birthday crown for Monkey from The Creative Family but it's very slow progress; I've cut out the felt but I need to teach myself blanket stitch before I can continue. I foresee a few late nights ahead....



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome back. Looks like you guys had a lovely time.

Ah, one, amazing isn't it? I think you'll be glad you marked it with a little something.